Wood Pellets...

Icefever

I've not but I'm certainly tempted to try them! As a newbie offset log man can I assume they just get added to the coals in a dry state a handful as and when? Whilst on have you tried the slow & sear (see attached photo) I'm hearing good things from across the pond but not much from the UK! They must be out there and being used? Anybody have experience? Are they worth the small investment? These and other questions when we return..

slow&Sear.jpg

31 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Correctomundo dude...   ? with the pellets (dry)  ....is the above a fire basket with a slot for the meat???  ?

Ice.

Are you winding me up? Water in the flat side coals in the other. Meat placed away from the water for indirect and over the coals for searing. I was going to make one after checking out costing on the US version, extortionate amount, but then found one here for £28 incl p&p slightly different design to avoid patent breach but essentially the same and thought why bother?

• Like 1

Well they are getting fab reviews from pals in the states, thinking that for the money I'll give one a try! Its one of them or a Vortex but thinking that would be less useful long term. Anyway take a look, at £28 its a good price and cheaper than I can make one for. If any body else has used one then please let me know what the results were.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onlyfire-Contoured-Stainless-Char-Basket-Charcoal/dp/B07CVXSSS7/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0Z29AEW69RSX3XVY8JKZ

I saw this a few years ago and researched it. Decided not enough practical benefit compared to water tray and minion method.

I have a vortex. It is good but the fat from the surrounding meat, like chicken drumsticks and wings makes a right mess of the kettle as no drip tray. Can bring to northern tailgate if anyone wants to give it a go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Yes. It is a good design but frankly basket water tray does the same thing 

The feed back I'm getting from the States is that a full chimney of standard briquettes, equates to around 30, is returning between a 6 and 9 hour cook time! Which for a low and slow cook means not having to walk back and forth keeping an eye on the coals! I'm thinking that is worth an outlay of £28.99 to turn a basic kettle into a slow cooker with little effort on my part! The only thing I need to do is top up with water! But how often I wonder? 

4 minutes ago, Justin said:

I saw this a few years ago and researched it. Decided not enough practical benefit compared to water tray and minion method.

I have a vortex. It is good but the fat from the surrounding meat, like chicken drumsticks and wings makes a right mess of the kettle as no drip tray. Can bring to northern tailgate if anyone wants to give it a go.

Yeah what you say was my thought about the Vortex but this slow & sear allows for a drip tray to go on the opposite side of the kettle to keep things clean and at the end of the cook move the meat across for the sear. Not going to do anything until I get better feed back from users or get offerd one on test? I'll be waiting for a call people!!

Ok good though  with minion method I have done 15 hours brisket. No problem. 

Note vortex and slow and sear are not same thing. They give different results. If you are going to northern tailgate I can loan you the vortex cone. .

• Like 2

On 8/26/2018 at 8:32 AM, Icefever said:

This seems like a good buy....free P&P has anyone tried them??

https://shop.americanbbq.co.uk/gmg-premium-fruitwood-blend-bbq-pellets-56lbs254kg-in-2-bags-95-p.asp

Ice.

Ordered these yesterday, had a spare sheet of 304 stainless steel lying around after another build so have made some round tubes up, so all ready to go. I would put a photo up of my effort but for some reason one bluetooth refuses to converse with the other? I wonder if either think Tube relates to You??

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, Brinkman said:

Ordered these yesterday, had a spare sheet of 304 stainless steel lying around after another build so have made some round tubes up, so all ready to go. I would put a photo up of my effort but for some reason one bluetooth refuses to converse with the other? I wonder if either think Tube relates to You??

Great success, these pellets gave a very fine and pleasant smoke ring to a leg of Lamb that was grilled today (Tuesday 4th Sep) using a very nice rub supplied by Wayne. 

• Like 1