Beefburger tonight

Justin

15pc fat Worcestershire sauce oregano  onion and Simon just at 1 to 2 tsp of each.  Season each side. 1 inch 8 oz patties. Cherry wood smoke reverse sear.

Served with halloumi or goats cheese

20180818_182743.thumb.jpg.c6c7306f5d049fc7c1bee51a9012acd9.jpg

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

You will not regret it.

I got this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wancle-Precision-Immersion-Circulator-Black-Classic/dp/B01LYS24J3/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535620968&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=sous+vide+rack&psc=1

I love it.  And learnign new things by it all the time

It is notthe buettoth wifi mdel but I did not think that is necessary like the Anova.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Icefever said:

They're not expensive for what they are....ours cost around £60 I think....and 24hrs brisket is to die for its so soft it just melts in your mouth... 

Ice.

Brian how do you use, or I should say what do you use to cook stuff in? I've only ever seen the industrial versions with large baths and the heating element at the bottom! 

Cheers Justin I'm watching a video on UT of a guy cooking a 14 pound brisket! So he's smoked it for the first three hours then vacuum packed it and placed it in what looks like a large fish tank and cooked it at 140f for 62hrs! So based on what I'm seeing you can basically use any container that is both long and deep enough? Would that be fairly accurate?

Yes.  I made yoghurt in 1 litre glass kilner jar the the day, delicious. Check out the Sous Vide forum recipes. I cooked three different curry bags and froze two of them for later .  Rib eye three different ways at the same time. It all good mate, simple cooking less washing up. Poached eggs like you'll never do another way again. I been doing loads

Edited by Justin

You know what, I may just look a whole lot more deeply into this! I already have a vacuum sealer and rolls of the plastic stuff so I'm halfway there and to be honest I've never had a bad meal with food cooked this way. Yep I think this could be on the 'treat myself' list. Need to go and do some more research on exactly what I may need as opposed to what I want just because it has shiny lights, buzzers and such like!! Any and all suggestions are most welcome.? 

What can I say Brinkman that hasn't been said already.....other than to quote Wiki...

" Goussault and Pralus independently worked on the development of sous vide in the 1970s and eventually became collaborators. It was Goussault who pioneered the marriage of vacuum sealing with low-temperature cooking. Pralus, considered the father of modern sous vide, cooked at higher temperatures." 

It's a bang it in a bag, pop it in the water bath and forget it.

1 minute ago, Icefever said:

What can I say Brinkman that hasn't been said already.....other than to quote Wiki...

" Goussault and Pralus independently worked on the development of sous vide in the 1970s and eventually became collaborators. It was Goussault who pioneered the marriage of vacuum sealing with low-temperature cooking. Pralus, considered the father of modern sous vide, cooked at higher temperatures." 

It's a bang it in a bag, pop it in the water bath and forget it.

True very true. To be honest I never realised you could use pretty much any container to cook in! As I said I'd only ever seen, in use, industrial versions which were all big stainless steel tanks with heating elements hidden underneath, a bit like a giant fish fryer? Never knew you could get units that clipped on the side of any container you happened to have available? I am interested, very...

1 hour ago, Brinkman said:

14 lbs of brisket is a whole lot of meat!?

True ! I’ve been wondering for ages about getting something. My local pub has an ox cheeks dish . And I was thinking about combining the smoking and sous vide . I guess it sort of helps with reverse sear

Edited by Raptor72

7 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

True ! I’ve been wondering for ages about getting something. My local pub has a box cheeks dish . And I was thinking about combining the smoking and sous vide . I guess it sort of helps with reverse sear

I'm seriously researching as I type! My mind is working on using a commercial deep fat fryer that is taking up room in a kitchen cupboard because the wife don't like the smell of frying! This could work, combined with the clip on unit, to work as my first bath!! Deep enough, length not perfect but more than adequate for steaks, fish, pork loin, etcetera.?