Bacon

Smokin Monkey

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/27/2017 at 8:29 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

Smokin Monkeys Smoked Bacon

image.jpeg.69fa416952a299940d12261e3d893d66.jpeg

Loin in the Vac Pac and then the mixed cure added. I like to write all calculated cure weights on the pac.

Once sealed the Loin is placed in the fridge for 10 days, turn Loin every day.

Just to clarify Steve, you just put the cure into the bag with the meat, not coat the meat completely with the cure first, before putting it in the bag. I am going to try the vacpac method for the first time next week.

7 hours ago, sotv said:

Just to clarify Steve, you just put the cure into the bag with the meat, not coat the meat completely with the cure first, before putting it in the bag. I am going to try the vacpac method for the first time next week.

If you can visualize the cure in to 1/3 (thirds) put 1/2 of a 1/3 of cure in the bag, so when you put the meat in the bag the end of the meat is in contact with the cure, then pour in another 1/3 on to the top of the meat, then 1/3 on the bottom of the meat, and the rest of the first 1/3 on to the end of the meat facing you. Edit, I then massage the cure evenly over the meat. Then vac pack.

The reason I do it this way is, when you are doing 3-4 joints, if you put the cure on the meat before putting it in to a Vac bag, the salts start drawing moisture out of the meat, and when you start to Vac, the machine pulls the moisture out,

A. losing some of the cure mix.

B. Making it more difficult to seal due to the moisture at the point of sealing.

Hope this helps, tried to explain as simple as I can.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

If you can visualize the cure in to 1/3 (thirds) put 1/2 of a 1/3 of cure in the bag, so when you put the meat in the bag the end of the meat is in contact with the cure, then pour in another 1/3 on to the top of the meat, then 1/3 on the bottom of the meat, and the rest of the first 1/3 on to the end of the meat facing you. Then vac pack.

The reason I do it this way is, when you are doing 3-4 joints, if you put the cure on the meat before putting it in to a Vac bag, the salts start drawing moisture out of the meat, and when you start to Vac, the machine pulls the moisture out,

A. losing some of the cure mix.

B. Making it more difficult to seal due to the moisture at the point of sealing.

Hope this helps, tried to explain as simple as I can.

I do it slightly differently - though it has the same effect.

In order to get the cure evenly distributed over the surface of the meat

• I place it in a roasting pan, pour 1/2 of the cure over one side and spread it over, then the other half over the other side.
  • Pick up the meat then dab the ends of the meat into the cure remaining in the pan to cover them.
  • Place the meat into the bag and then pour in the cure that has fallen off and remains in the roasting pan.
  • Vac pack

At the end of the day both methods will work and the salt/sugar/cure will equilibrare throughout the meat.

• Like 2