Dry Age Bags...

sotv

• 2 weeks later...

Friday it comes out of the wet bag, then it is into step 2. 1 week to go. (My freezer is full of scrappy smoked bacon and smoked salmon and fridge is full of smoked cheese)  looking more and more like a cold smoke house

1. Cure the meat as you would for bacon - vac packed in the fridge
  2. Rinse, dry off and then vac pack in dry age bag
  3. Wrap in muslin and then hang at cool room temperature to dry (12-20 C - the closer to 12 C the better)
  4. Monitor the weight every 4-5 days.

Just taken out the fridge, rinsed and vacced in semi permeable bag and wrapped in cheesecloth. Weighed at 957g so only 43g loss of weight which looks pretty poor but lets see how it goes now it is wrapped and drying outside fridge. Target is 660g. Did not spray in vinegar.  

@Wade Is is it advisable to spray vinegar whilst its wrapped in semi perm and cheesecloth (I haven to got any muslin here)

20181219_101115.thumb.jpg.2456cdb1713a0bd7acb7526d29403538.jpg20181219_101125.thumb.jpg.fa2a1242de70e5db550755ae912cdf6f.jpg20181219_101456.thumb.jpg.9f718e7d470de14481ebf1eb33bd8342.jpg20181219_103218.thumb.jpg.e0c51dcb2997217e236b3b937b815d80.jpg

I can no image i will get away with where it is hanging at the moment but Lindsey is at work so it can last until she gets home!

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got it , thanks mate, the long wait now.  will advise on weight loss over the months and tighten as you had too.  See how an amateur like me gets on with smoked paprika and salt cured pork loin.  I might put another one in  late January so there is a roll over supply. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mould spores are in the air all around us and need very little nutrient to grow on. It will grow at room temperature quite readily and will even grow (much more slowly) at fridge temperatures. There were either some juices that were left on the surface of the bag during the preparation process or some of the juices from inside have found their way through the bag at that point. The bags are semi-permeable and so are designed to let water out.

I figure unrolled aromatics in then re roll once it has cured from fridge before hanging?

15 hours ago, Justin said:

Just did a check and found patch of mould. Wiped it with white wine bar.

Rehung. It looks very dry now

20190113_194548.thumb.jpg.1ec47335cfb52785a5a4025a14c7aebe.jpg

Have you noticed how the mould grew directly under the yellow tab.  i/e less permeability there? strange? I  will but the tab much narrow this time, no need for it to be this wide

Recipe Cured Pork Shoulder

Pork 1.446kg

Salt 32.68g (2.5%)

Cure #2 3.47g

2.169g (.15%) granulated garlic

herbs 1 sprig rosemary, 3 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs majoram

In vac bag cure for 3 weeks in fridge, turning occasionally. You an leave longer and the garlic taste will punch through a little more, not necessary though

Remove rinse in white wine or water. pat dry.

Cover in pepper if you want a peppery after taste

Cold smoke for 20 hours (alder possibly but i will try apple i think)

Leave for an hour or two then seal in dry age bag and wrap in muslin, hang for 3 months plus.....

Will sort this when i get chance tomorrow

@Wade @sotvwhat do you think fellas. any recommendations. Sorry no bottle orf Merlot lying around. Do have  a bottle of Argentinian Malbec but that is far to good to not drink!

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Pork 1.446kg

Salt 32.68g (2.5%)

Cure #2 3.47g

In vac bag cure for 3 weeks in fridge, turning occasionally. You an leave longer and the garlic taste will punch through a little more, not necessary though

Leave for an hour or two then seal in dry age bag and wrap in muslin, hang for 3 months plus.....

@Wade @sotvwhat do you think fellas. any recommendations. Sorry no bottle orf Merlot lying around. Do have  a bottle of Argentinian Malbec but that is far to good to not drink!

What will this end up being then ? 

Iberico is type of pig fed on acrons etc.

Usually the Jamón Ibéricos take at least two years to reach their peak of flavor - some of the finest hams cure for four or even five years?

No mate nothing like that just a pork shoulder cure #2 ad some aromatic. Will see how it turns out late this year I already have paprika one on. not sure how that will turn out as i used loads of szechaun salt which was not so clever maybe. Might taste awful, might taste great. Still pork is so cheap what does it matter. Good to experiment with so this is the 2nd step in my curing learning, beyond bacon

On 1/14/2019 at 2:23 PM, Justin said:

Pork 1.446kg

Salt 32.68g (2.5%)

Cure #2 3.47g

looks good, mucked mine up. But looking to have ago again sometime soon. If this is a tried and trusted recipe, you have found then stick to it would be my advice. If winging it sage always works well with pork I find and may lend itself to cured pork. i am sure it will turn out good whatever you do, looking at your earlier attempt