UK BBQ Smoking Pellets Price Comparison - Updated 14/06/20

Tabs

Since getting a pellet smoker I've been searching for suppliers of smoking pellets here in the UK. Found a place in Liverpool (just on the doorstep) which do very well priced bags of Lil Devils Pellets (imported), though I've yet to fire up the pit and try them so can't comment just yet.

Also tried the Perfect Mix stuff from Amazon. Results were good but price wise compared the lil devils were a touch spenny.

Edit - The following table lists a selection of the most common Pellet brands and suppliers in the UK as of June 2020. Please feel free to respond with anything you manage find and I'll add the data to the table!

pellets-3.JPG

Edited by Tabs
Added table to first post to make tracking changes easier. Also updated title for better visibility with Search Engines
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, Sluggy said:

Van Hage garden centre in Peterborough has started stocking Traeger pellets if anyone’s interested. 

Do you think they'd work okay in an Ooni pizza oven? Van Have is just down the road from me and will save me having to pay a delivery charge. 

• Like 1

Should really update this seeing as I started it!

Ended up finding a local pellet supplier in Liverpool, called Liverpool Wood Pellets. They stock a brand called Lil' Devils and they come in at roughly £5-6 per 9kg bag if I  buy in bulk and collect.

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1462169-BBQ-Smoking-Wood-Pellets.html

Tried fancy, expensive pellets and the rate my Yoder goes through them in winter just doesn't make it economical unless I'm using a cheaper supply.

Results have been fantastic with Lil' Devils. Smoke ring always present and they impart a nice medium wood flavour on anything I cook. For reference a bag lasts upwards of 12 hours. Which, cost wise, is getting in to the charcoal territory for bang per buck.

Excuse the barbaric cutting but you can see the smoke ring on these short ribs. Best I've had considering pellets were the source.

IMG_20190209_193942.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tabs said:

Ended up finding a local pellet supplier in Liverpool, called Liverpool Wood Pellets. They stock a brand called Lil' Devils and they come in at roughly £5-6 per 9kg bag if I  buy in bulk and collect.

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1462169-BBQ-Smoking-Wood-Pellets.html

Tried fancy, expensive pellets and the rate my Yoder goes through them in winter just doesn't make it economical unless I'm using a cheaper supply.

Results have been fantastic with Lil' Devils. Smoke ring always present and they impart a nice medium wood flavour on anything I cook. For reference a bag lasts upwards of 12 hours. Which, cost wise, is getting in to the charcoal territory for bang per buck.

Excuse the barbaric cutting but you can see the smoke ring on these short ribs. Best I've had considering pellets were the source.

IMG_20190209_193942.jpg

Those ribs look great

11 hours ago, Wade said:

The Uuni burns through pellets like they are going out of fashion. Don't buy expensive pellets as the high heat that they burn at they do not actually impart any distinct wood flavours.

I've always bought the uuni ones previously. I used to be able to get them without a delivery charge, but not anymore. Makes them expensive

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:20 AM, Tabs said:

IMG_20190209_193942.jpg

Where did you buy those ribs?

Popped in to Bexley's Butchers in Old Swan and got talking to the butcher to see if they could source larger cuts for me - stuff like packer briskets and whole shoulders - which I've been ordering from Tom Hixson and Turner and George, or going down to the abatoir on Prescot Road at silly o'clock in the morning to get.

After a good chat it turns out they supply a few of the restaurants in Liverpool, including Simon Rimmer's gaff in Wootlon. Anyway they can get their hands on Jacobs ladder so I ordered a slab. Came in at £13 and they were were too notch.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Has anyone any experience of the CookinPellets brand, they seem well reviewed in the States but although a bit expensive over here 54kg for £99 

I have some of the new Weber Pellets to try but looking for a brand to compare them by, to see if any noticeable difference in smoke flavour on the meat I cook.

Not tried those, at that price I'd be wary of taking a punt too. I've found sticking with lil devils pellets and using a smoke tube, with BBQ'ers delight flavoured pellets is the most cost effective way to cook and add flavour in my Yoder.

I'm hoping overall pellet costs and availability start to become realistic now the Weber unit has landed in the UK.

• Like 1