Which end ??

Icefever

10 minutes ago, Wade said:

It is easy enough though to move the singled sealed bag out a few millimetres and press the seal only button to get the second seal. 

Never thought of that,  we did have a pork belly spoil once, we did it in the sous vide and it blew your head off when we opened the bag after cooking.....needless to say it went in the bin.

Today we start on our trip down bacon road....didn't have the time the last few days. ?

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." - Lao Tzu

I've taken my first step this morning,  followed Wade's instructions to the T.  

1 & 2....There was a small piece of bone,  maybe missed by the butcher I'm not sure....so I trimmed it.

3....  Rind off....I'm chuffed I think I did a good job. ?

4....It finished at 983g.

5....All salted & sealed.

6....Ready for the next 10 days in the fridge....notice the double seal on both ends.....:thumb1:  thanks for that Wade.

I'm now thinking of doing another one but this time add the Bay leaves,   just to run alongside each other for comparison.   Because if this works out well it ain't going to hang around very long...

Ice.

20180728_064041.jpg

20180728_064051.jpg

20180728_065000.jpg

20180728_065451.jpg

20180728_071610.jpg

20180728_071639.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, valve90210 said:

I have a Bookers card, all I took in was my headed paper and an invoice I'd previously sent out to a client, and that was for my self-employed work as a graphic designer, they didn't seem too bothered with checking anything out really, though to be fair this was a few years ago, so they may be stricter now.

Hi Scott.

I've just filled in the online form,  got a customer number,  now just need to take in any paperwork that will cover whatever they want.

Just be creative. Get your utilities bill, copy and paste a part of the bill that has no writing on it, over the original name and address, the simply type your “Business Name” and address there. 

Print it out, if they ask, tell them you do not receive paper bills any more only on line so you have printed it out as proof.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow we have to nip to Banbury for an hour or two....on the way home we are taking whatever paperwork Bookers require and if everything is ok we will take a stroll around and price a few things up.   We have no room at all in any of our 3x 6' freezers so we need to start eating some of what's in them to make enough space for a box of ribs.

Tomorrow is the end of the ten days for our bacon,  so we will start the drying period.  I've been up the old shed and took a photo of the old girl,  she was a working unit when she went in....wonder if she still works??

It may be a good point if it's run while smoking in the hot weather days?? would that keep the smoke nice and cool???  On the other hand, could that make the smoke too cold???  what's the SP on that guys??

20180806_144730.jpg

Nice mate and good question. I am ready to cold smoke but I am concerned at the heat even in the evenings it is up at 24 degs before even lighting the wood dust .  Still it is what it is, so I am sure it will be easier come Smokevemer, cold smoking galore the winter though need to shelter the cardboard box! Might be smoking in the garage. That should be ok come winter.

Definitely getting some cheese on and vacced fro some colleagues at work who are keen to taste,.

Sorry i was not on from last coupe of weeks, projects at work ballonned, so I was in London a lot and was tired when I was getting home, plus some travel to boot..

Edited by Justin
typos

A lot is said about the ambient temp while cold smoking....so that's why it came to mind this afternoon when I looked at the chiller. I'll have to have a look at what temp she runs at, pop a thermo in to get a reading. I could run her through an Inkbird controller, set the temp at whatever....10c for instance and she'll switch on & off to maintain that temp.

• Like 1

At the moment I use the Inkbird to control both cold & hot circuits in a fridge in the brewhouse,  it's used as a fermentation fridge.  I have two of them but I'm finding I only use one at any one time.

That means take the hot circuit out so it runs as a fridge, this will then be used to store both bacon & cheese.  Then add the hot circuit to the chiller if it needs it and voila jobs a good un..  ?  

Ice.

The bacon is cured so it will take some warm smoking - however as others have said even overnight it is still warm at 16 C. You can do a couple of things...

• Place a big tray of ice in the bottom of the smoker - the water bowl is good for this. Limit the smoking for about 4 hours and return to the fridge. Repeat several times.
  • Put the cold smoker in the shed and run an exhaust hose from the flu to the outside. Place a portable air conditioner in the shed to cool the ambient air. This is what I do in my smokery.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:29 AM, Wade said:

From my experience they do not scrutinise them closely. After all you will be spending money there ...

You were spot on Wade, went today to both Bookers & Costco and got cards from both,  they hardly looked at my paperwork.  :thumb1:

Ice.

• Like 2

The bacon came out today.....we couldn't resist trying it after all this was our first go at making bacon.   Covered by a farm fresh egg on Rosie's tomato & onion bread, WOW from both of us.

I've read where folks get to eat their home-cured bacon, now we know what it's all about.  Only the one photo when we cut the rashers... didn't think about a photo of it in the pan.

Ice.

20180809_155150.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wade said:

Great looking bacon. Is the next batch on yet? :-). If you need more cure let me know and I can pop some in the post or bring it to the tailgate. 

Thank you Sir,

I must admit this first go has blown us both away,  never thought how easy it is.  We do need a slicer to help get a better slice....we're not doing any more this weekend as I need to try and sort out that old chiller and change into a smoker.  Did you see/read about the chiller I'm going to use??  because I'm wondering if it still works would it be an advantage to run it while smoking to cool down the smoke??  or would the smoke go down too cold to work??

Yes please to the cure we'll have 3 packs,  will see & sort out at the Tailgate bbq with you... as we need to watch what we do over the next 3weeks,  as 3 weeks tomorrow we'll be in Portugal before the N. Tailgate do....don't want to come up short with bacon still in the cure.  ?

Ice.

I find that immersion cured (supermarket) bacon works best for the fatties as it is more pliable/stretchy and moulds round the meat better than the drier dry-cure bacon. Give it a try though and see how you get on.

A bit of general info - Dry cure bacon will last up to 6 weeks when kept as a lump (I.e. unsliced), vac packed and in the fridge. Once you slice the bacon it should be used within a week - unless it is then frozen.

• Thanks 1

the world of is myriad, i was doing research on this and it appears to me only the  higher end ones were worth it, anything cheaper is really hard to clean or compromised to frustrate. Gadget like this always boil down to cleaning and as slicing meat this is critical.This is what stopped me, to expensive. And space to store it, my kitchen cupboards are full with things and gadgets from years of collecting and surfaces are kept clear bar the cafetiere and recycling food caddy

Edited by Justin
typos