Ribs

Smokin Monkey

• 9 months later...

Ended up with a very early tea tonight and the first rack of ribs of the year. They took only 6 hours. Not having to battle cool outside temps, sped the cook up a bit, I think and took me a little bit by surprise, as was expecting another 90 minutes. 😀

IMG_20190417_143735727.thumb.jpg.8f5849ea3b5e2ed8d17977a5208f1127.jpg

IMG_20190417_144112571_HDR.thumb.jpg.88d6238433ae6820fdf8ebf20bc50a60.jpg

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Icefever said:

@sotv  I did a rack two weeks back and they were done in about 4 hours,  we've discussed this 321 method some time back and most thoughts were it's only a guide.

Mine went like 2.25 hours....1.50 hours....& 45 mins.

Ice.

I  normally do mine in a rib rack upright and leave them to cook untouched, only adding a mop occasionally during the cook. Takes about 7-8 hours with stall at 225F usually

Only thing I did different was lay these 2 flat for the first time as only cooking 2 racks and they seemed to have little or no stall and were done in 6 hours without hardly any stall. So thinking the larger surface being layed flat rather than upright sped it up a bit?

Never done the foiling thing,  may do one day. Me and the wife enjoy them done this way, so never seen the need to change a method that works for us.. I know people foil pork but once again, not something I have done. i m happy to sit through the stall usually and cook at a steady 225f for the whole cook for most things

Edited by sotv

@sotv  I do foil for a short time,  we don't like the really heavy bark that you see on some videos,  so when I think it's at the correct stage of done for us I foil and spray with apple juice, then cover very tight.  Back on the grill for the middle bit, then uncover and back on for the final bit......everyone gets set to what they like and what's best for them.....as we say in a brewing forum..."there's no one way that's best" just do what works for you... m0114.gif

Ice...m0117.gif

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sotv said:

Ended up with a very early tea tonight and the first rack of ribs of the year. They took only 6 hours. Not having to battle cool outside temps, sped the cook up a bit, I think and took me a little bit by surprise, as was expecting another 90 minutes. 😀

IMG_20190417_143735727.thumb.jpg.8f5849ea3b5e2ed8d17977a5208f1127.jpg

IMG_20190417_144112571_HDR.thumb.jpg.88d6238433ae6820fdf8ebf20bc50a60.jpg

Are these spare or baby back ribs mate?

• Like 1

I would class them as St Louis Style Ribs (happy to be corrected though) Basically spare ribs that have been trimmed and tips, fat and flaps of meat removed. All I need to do is remove the membrane off the back spread Heinz Squeezy Honey Mustard over back and front sprinkle homemade rub over them and good to go and finish off with Bullseye Smokey Bacon Sauce once cooked.

I usually get 12 even sized ribs in a rack with this cut.

• Like 1