Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

It is also in the wrong direction for food safety. If you didn't have another thermometer to check the IT of the meat and you think you are cooking at 120, then only cooking at 97 C could result in the meat remaining under cooked and potentially unsafe.

• 1 month later...

when building used Unibond high temp sealant to seal all joins..

IMG_2957.thumb.JPG.bd76b10781191c189e5ade9692a49a26.JPG

Have used Lavarock gasket tape to insulate the lid

IMG_3170.thumb.JPG.ea597a64ec58d2cddd7cbe404d272f67.JPG

IMG_3171.thumb.JPG.f46e52c4edefe2552bd35594c9328d90.JPG

IMG_3173.thumb.JPG.2ad75d33cb375fbbb2a473c2ef5f3d11.JPG

IMG_3174.thumb.JPG.cb0c7793442e345d5d10c30d6947e5aa.JPG

this last pic is with the old lid so dosnt show the gasket tape, it was a really poor fit, contacted Landmann and they replaced straight away.

IMG_3050.thumb.JPG.9c927455065b21a6e29349fe3f85d020.JPG

• Like 4

The only issue is I want to keep my warming rack which would foul a simple straight extension. I'm going to use flexible steel exhaust to curve it round to the front, and if I end up installing/making a removable baffle I'll extend it to the firebox end instead. The one thing I have noticed with mine, is if I try to smoke with the height adjustable charcoal pan still fitted, it seems to struggle to maintain temps. It must divert heat away from the grill.

• Like 1

the chimney is the next mod on my list, i have used the grill from the fire box wrapped in foil plus the solid section under the coal grate from the fire box as tuning plates which seem to work well. They deflect the heat into the middle of the cooking chamber plus its a free mod as they come as standard. will post pics this week.

check this link out and scroll 2.52 mins into it to get the idea 

Edited by Cumminz
  • Like 2

That's interesting because I got the opposite affect. I had the end near the firebox as high as it would go, so above the inlet, and the other end on the lowest and it just seemed to muck it about. It was windy as well though, and just doing burgers, loads of variables.

I think I'm going to do the chimney and then leave it alone till I know a bit more about how this actually works

Just now, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

That's interesting because I got the opposite affect. I had the end near the firebox as high as it would go, so above the inlet, and the other end on the lowest and it just seemed to muck it about. It was windy as well though, and just doing burgers, loads of variables.

I think I'm going to do the chimney and then leave it alone till I know a bit more about how this actually works

i have only used mine with the tuning plate mod so need to compare it without. will need to season the new lid so will stick some probes in there to compare temps with out them and report back. if you go ahead with the chimney mod can you let me know how it goes please. 

38 minutes ago, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

The one thing I have noticed with mine, is if I try to smoke with the height adjustable charcoal pan still fitted, it seems to struggle to maintain temps. It must divert heat away from the grill.

Could you post up a photo of it in place?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

3 minutes ago, Cumminz said:

i have only used mine with the tuning plate mod so need to compare it without. will need to season the new lid so will stick some probes in there to compare temps with out them and report back. if you go ahead with the chimney mod can you let me know how it goes please. 

just watched that link again, mine are not as raised as in the vid which may be why it doesn't work as well, will re work. think the tuning plate mod would benefit from being raised a bit more, would produce a more consistent temp.

10 minutes ago, Wade said:
48 minutes ago, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

The one thing I have noticed with mine, is if I try to smoke with the height adjustable charcoal pan still fitted, it seems to struggle to maintain temps. It must divert heat away from the grill.

i remove everything from the cooking chamber (adjustable charcoal pan)

as i have used the coal and cooking grate from the firebox to use as tuning plates i have replaced with a coal basket adapted from a bbq veg basket.

IMG_3092.thumb.JPG.cb67b448573f128079cf5832048f7b0a.JPG

1 hour ago, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

Hey Cummins, have you come across any issues, or got any tips? I'm planning on extending my chimney internally to just above the grate.

have yet to try it since i fitted the tape, will let you know. will be an interesting comparison have used it without so can compare with

Once you have sealed up your smoker, take care if you are looking to lower the flue inside the cooking chamber as the air flow through the smoker uses draw from the chimney to ensure a good flow of heat and smoke. Restricting/affecting the air flow can make it harder to get the smoker up to temperature. Lowering the flue too far inside the chamber can also affect the smoke distribution around the chamber by creating a low laminar flow of air, causing smoke in the upper parts of the  smoking chamber becoming trapped and not replaced. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wade said:

Once you have sealed up your smoker, take care if you are looking to lower the flue inside the cooking chamber as the air flow through the smoker uses draw from the chimney to ensure a good flow of heat and smoke. Restricting/affecting the air flow can make it harder to get the smoker up to temperature. Lowering the flue too far inside the chamber can also affect the smoke distribution around the chamber by creating a low laminar flow of air, causing smoke in the upper parts of the  smoking chamber becoming trapped and not replaced. 

Thanks for this, i was mindful that you need a good airflow to not choke the food with too much smoke! you still need to retain a certain amount of convection?

The smoke flavours we want in our meat are the ones you get with the lighter smoke (often referred to as "thin blue smoke") and not with the heavier billowing smoke. You also want this light smoke to be refreshed around the meat as often as possible. Smoke left hanging around the meat (often referred to as "stale smoke") gives the heavier more tarry flavours time to coat the meat, often leading to the bark becoming noticeably bitter.