Lilac Wood For Smoking, Is it Ok To Use?

sotv

Thanks for that, Will keep a box full of it to season then.

Is there an online guide or a resource that could be posted on here for different woods and what meats they are suited too, for future reference. Between me and the neighbour we have 7 different types of fruit trees at least along, with silver birch, willow, lilac and a few others, that are trimmed and pruned on occasion and it would be nice to see if they are any good to use in smoking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 6:47 AM, Wade said:

We can post one up. I have been in Cornwall all week with virtually no Internet connection. If it hasn't been posted up by the weekend I will post one for you when I get home.:5980a344e6cd3_ThumbsUp:

Cheers look forward to it.

Lilac tree all chopped down today, very dry wood already, can't see it needing more than 2 months seasoning if that. 2 big blackbin bags of it to use + even more for the log burner

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2018 at 10:35 AM, sotv said:

Is it ok to use Lilac Wood for smoking? Chopping a  lilac tree down this week and if safe to use, will season till next year.  if it is ok, any recommendations to what it will meat or fish it will go well with?

Its very good indeed for both Seafood and Lamb. Only caveat for burning it indoors is that both the burner and chimney need to be clean, clear and unobstructed. But then I would have thought that would be the case for any indoor fire! So maybe ignore that bit of advice? ?  

21 hours ago, Brinkman said:

Its very good indeed for both Seafood and Lamb. Only caveat for burning it indoors is that both the burner and chimney need to be clean, clear and unobstructed. But then I would have thought that would be the case for any indoor fire! So maybe ignore that bit of advice? ?  

Used it a couple of times now in the smoker, as it was a very dry wood, once cut down and needed very little seasoning. Quite a mild aromatic finished  flavour, found it needs a few cherry wood chunks mixed in with it for pork. But nice on its own with fatties and chicken. 

Got a Greengage tree that needs a good pruning, once it finishes fruiting. Not used that wood before. Hopefully next door will be pruning their Pear tree this year also.

10 minutes ago, sotv said:

Used it a couple of times now in the smoker, as it was a very dry wood, once cut down and needed very little seasoning. Quite a mild aromatic finished  flavour, found it needs a few cherry wood chunks mixed in with it for pork. But nice on its own with fatties and chicken. 

Got a Greengage tree that needs a good pruning, once it finishes fruiting. Not used that wood before. Hopefully next door will be pruning their Pear tree this year also.

Oh stop it you smooth talking devil you.?