An alternative for LotusGrill charcoals

mksoi

Hello friends,

I have a LotusGrill BBQ-XL, I need your recommendation for proper charcoals to be used with it. Its original LotusGrill beech charcoals are great but expensive and not available in local stores here in Northern Ireland which make it more expensive as I have to pay extra for the shipping rate.

I contacted LotusGrill for an alternative charcoal available locally or on Ebay.co.uk/Amazon.co.uk with a reasonable price and shipping rate, they said that I have to look for a natural one with  smaller briquettes and a low dust content (so to be as smokeless as possible), however, they won't be able to recommend any one and they suggested me to post a message to a BBQ/Camping forum as there will be individuals on there who are very knowledgeable on the subject and have probably tried many themselves.

So will you be able to assist me in this?
Thanks in advance

Hi Smokin,

I got the charcoals from The Range. Thank you very much.

I have a question about the attached warning message! Does it mean that these charcoals are not purely natural and contain more chemicals than other ones?

I tried using LotusGrill charcoals indoor without any issue. They do not even have such warning message.

warn.jpeg

21 hours ago, mksoi said:

I have a question about the attached warning message! Does it mean that these charcoals are not purely natural and contain more chemicals than other ones?

No. This is a warning message that should be present on all charcoal packs. Whenever wood/charcoal/coal/gas is burned it produces a variety of combustion products including water, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. The carbon monoxide is a potentially lethal gas as when breathed it prevents the blood from transporting oxygen around the body and can lead to death. There have been several documented cases of carbon monoxide poisoning from BBQs used in combined spaces (often whilst people have been camping) which have resulted in deaths. Here is a link to one from 2013 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21059594

Heat Beads are a great brand of briquette and are ones that I use most of the time. They take a little longer to catch light but they burn a lot longer too.

• Like 1

Hi @Wade and @Smokin Monkey,

I tried it last Saturday, and here is my experience explained:

First of all, I tried to burn the Heat Beads the same way I used to do with the LotusGrill's original charcoals. It failed. I placed the lighting gel on the base, and filled the center chimney up with the Heat Beads. The gel was over before they gets burned.

So I placed the gel in the bottom base again, then I put a tiny layer of LotusGrill original charcoals in the chimney (10-20%), then I filled the chimney up with the Heat Beads charcoals (80-90%). And it was really successful.

They do take longer time to get burned (about 45 min) but they do last for much longer time than the LotusGrill's original charcoals, they are really efficient. I finished the grilling while they are still burning firmly. I consider this a great experience. Thanks you for the recommendation.

Do you recommend any lighting layer to be used instead of the LotusGrill original charcoals? Also regarding the gel, I used the LotusGrill's original lighting gel, do you recommend any alternative?

Edited by mksoi

If you can help it, keep away from gels and lighting fluids, they can taint the taste of your food.

I would recommend getting yourself one of these small camping stoves and a charcoal chimney.

B43803D6-F4A5-48D5-9DDC-059DAB1C1CFE.jpeg.9ab221da577af91b436c965adef1de8d.jpeg

Place three to four heat beads in chimney and place on lit stove, 10 minutes will have you ready to put into your LotusGrill fire basket.

D319F640-28FA-4145-9491-D4D0F73DD727.thumb.jpeg.f486e54258be43e591913a2adb87b7c8.jpeg

Or use the stove and the charcoal basket from the LotusGrill straight onto the stove.

• Like 1

Regulator, that's exactly the word I was struggling for! ? (wow, where did all the emojis come from! :))

Yep., something along those lines, though I'll add in an inline quick release coupling so I can use either my camping gaz bottle or my bbq gas bottle, depending on which one I have handy. :)

????

• 2 months later...
Guest homer

cracking idea! having purchased 6 ton :Oops: of natural firelighters just for the little cob bbq to light heatbeads, will now try them direct in there coal basket on the cadac bbq/cooker which is running of the camper gas tank to get them started :thumb1: and is always set up same time as the cob for the side dishes etc