Tips for smoking a whole chicken & flavour suggestions please

valve90210

This weekend I'm looking to smoke a chicken while my parents are round helping me with some diy and stuff. I've smoked whole chickens a couple of times before when I first got my Callow smoker and had reasonable results, for those I just mixed up some garlic butter and spread it under the skin then went ahead and smoked them. I did experience a major stall for on one of them but I'm happy that I can overcome that now with foil wrapping, but has anyone got any other tips that might be useful (I've ruled out brining on this occasion as I simply don't have the time or motivation to do it at the moment)?

Also, has anyone got any suggestions for flavour combinations I could try?

My mum has to be careful with what she's eating at the moment and has to avoid anything spicy that could irritate her digestive system, so nothing like chilli, ginger, garlic et as such I'm trying to think of something nice and gentle but flavoursome that would be suitable for her.

I might also do a second chicken for myself with a schwarma mix I made over christmas which worked brilliantly in a beef meatloaf/fattie sort of thing I made for my christmas.

Any thoughts

I have tried this last summer and found it really refreshing and probably the moistest chicken I have managed so far. Using a foil tray rather than a chicken stand. I cooked mine on a proQ with the water pan so could only really maintain 230 deg F so took a longer cooking time than at the 300 deg F in the description, although if I left the waterpan out I am sure I could have got up to 300 deg F

Hopefully it is ok to link to another site? Lemon & Rosemary Butter Chicken http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/Lemon-Rosemary-Chicken.htm

You could leave the garlic out. But I always use the garlic in jars or some homemade garlic confit, find it much milder than raw garlic

Edited by sotv

Spatchcock the Chicken, lift the skin

413A0A79-7758-43E7-9C24-E90523243D15.jpeg.e6e1f06fa9d3c216d3102962021321cc.jpeg

I use fingers first to lift the skin over the breast, then a spoon to get right down over the legs etc.

Then mix butter with what ever Flavours your Mother likes. 

Push the butter under the skin, use the spoon to get it right in.

Then cook as you normally would, but it will cook quicker as it is Spatchcocked.

A couple of good poultry rubs/flavourings from an American friend of mine

Bell's Poultry Seasoning - I make a batch of this and often use it in chicken dishes

1 tablespoon rosemary.
1 tablespoon oregano.
1 teaspoon sage.
1 tablespoon dried ginger.
1 tablespoon marjoram.
1 tablespoon thyme.
1 teaspoon pepper.
Grind to fine powder.

Bubba Chix Rub - A good chicken rub that also uses some of the Bells Poultry Seasoning

1/4C Raw Sugar
2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)
1T Gran. Garlic
1T Gran. Onion
1tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Wht Pepper
1/2tsp Allspice
1tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning or Thyme

I am not sure how sensitive your mother is, but the dried ginger and garlic are much less of an irritant than the fresh and in these they are contributing to an overall flavour rather than trying to be a dominant flavour.

• Like 1

On 18 January 2018 at 5:35 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

Spatchcock the Chicken, lift the skin

413A0A79-7758-43E7-9C24-E90523243D15.jpeg.e6e1f06fa9d3c216d3102962021321cc.jpeg

I use fingers first to lift the skin over the breast, then a spoon to get right down over the legs etc.

Then mix butter with what ever Flavours your Mother likes. 

Push the butter under the skin, use the spoon to get it right in.

Then cook as you normally would, but it will cook quicker as it is Spatchcocked.

Smoking monkey, from the look of the legs and wings in that pic the bird looks like it's been split along the breast?  When I spatchcock a bird I do it by cutting either side of the spine and keeping the breast intact.  I'm not 100% it's just the legs look to be in a different orientation 

3 hours ago, Wet Spaniel said:

Smoking monkey, from the look of the legs and wings in that pic the bird looks like it's been split along the breast?  When I spatchcock a bird I do it by cutting either side of the spine and keeping the breast intact.  I'm not 100% it's just the legs look to be in a different orientation 

You are 100% correct, this was cut the wrong way, the wife prepared it!