Smoked nuts?

Steve Harford

I’ve cold smoked nuts in the past but they were a bit too smokey. Nothing scientific just bunged in with some cheese and other stuff. I’d like to do a selection for Christmas, including the honey coated ones. I did do these and they were nice but too sticky. 

How would I best go about it all in future?

I’m thinking cashews, peanuts, almonds

Hi Steve

The way I smoke nuts is to smoke roast them. You need to start with raw nuts (natural cashews or un-blanched almonds)

Heat your smoker up to 160 C
Make a brine of 30 grams of salt in 230 g of water. 
Pour 1 Kg of nuts into brine to cover them all and then immediately strain
Grind 30 g of smoked salt to a fine powder. Add to wet nuts and ensure they are coated evenly
Place nuts on fine wire mesh rack or tray. Place in smoker
Roast for 24 minutes, stirring every 8 minutes
Whilst still hot, place in cold smoker for 3 hours
Store in air tight container.

Almonds.thumb.jpg.f288757bce30adceb67f41d175f9f1e3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You could give it a try however I have found that a low slow cook can leave the nuts soft - rather than becoming crunchy when roasted. The higher temperature also browns the nuts.

One method you could try is to first cold smoke the water for the brine - or add a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke. Roast them in your kitchen oven and then back to the cold smoker for the final smoke.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Wade where do you source your nuts from please? A mix of different nuts unsalted and unroasted seem to be about £10 for 500g, Does that sound right? looking to share about 1kg with my sister so £20 for a kg seems ok for a mix that contains brazils, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, walnut halves and pecan, providing they are all suited to roasting and smoking?.

Edited by sotv

52 minutes ago, Justin said:

I get mine from LIDL . they do unroasted and unsalted nuts

Was looking in my local one today, but they only had the pistachio's that were unsalted, but were roasted, so no good. No cashews, which seemed to be the only ones in the range in my store that were unroasted and unsalted unfortunately. All the loose ones are pre salted and tbh anyone with whatever germs could have been in there first anyway or they could have been there for however long. 🤢

Found a kg mixture on ebay of unsalted/unroasted that seems popular and contains a good mixture of nuts (cashews(20%), hazelnuts(20%), walnuts(20%),  almonds (15%), Brazils (15%), pecans (10%) depends if they are all suitable to roasting and smoking though. If not they sell unsalted/unroasted varieties individually that I could mix and match for suitable nuts.

On 12/3/2019 at 4:26 PM, sotv said:

@Wade where do you source your nuts from please? A mix of different nuts unsalted and unroasted seem to be about £10 for 500g, Does that sound right? looking to share about 1kg with my sister so £20 for a kg seems ok for a mix that contains brazils, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, walnut halves and pecan, providing they are all suited to roasting and smoking?.

I buy mine online from Sunburst Snacks.

5 Kg of raw almonds are ~£49

5 Kg of raw cashews are ~£52.50

They supply most kinds of nut in bulk.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Wade said:

I buy mine online from Sunburst Snacks.

5 Kg of raw almonds are ~£49

5 Kg of raw cashews are ~£52.50

They supply most kinds of nut in bulk.

Thanks for that, quantities are a bit more than I need. GrapeTree look quite good for smaller quantities of pre-mixed or choose your own mix of nuts. Are there any nuts not suited to roasting and smoking? I was thinking of a Brazil Nut, Cashew, Walnut, Pistachio and Macadamia Nut mix

If I get them done later next week, will they be ready to eat by xmas

Edited by sotv

On 12/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, Justin said:

I get mine from LIDL . they do unroasted and unsalted nuts

👍

Just got back from Lidl and they had a big display of Mixed nuts on offer for this weekend £1.39 for 200g, (25% Hazelnuts, 25% Walnuts, 25% Almonds, 25% Cashews) Hadn't noticed these before, bagged and raw, going to mix 4 bags of these with some Brazil nuts i picked up from Morrisons and roast and brine them following Wades method later this week.

• Like 2