2018 National Smokers and BBQ Weekend. Billing Aquadrome. 20-22 July

Wade

On 7/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, Wade said:

On Saturday there is a time fixed for the feast to begin and everyone works towards that. This will be at about 5 pm - but we will confirm the exact time on the Friday evening. This means that if your food is only going to take 30 minutes then start preparing you need to start at ~4:30 pm but if it takes 12 hours then you will need to start at 5 am ?. In practice we find that most BBQs are lit between 8 and 9 am. Because there is such a variety of foods being prepared there is a lot of time where things are just cooking and need little attention and this is why we try to find a venue that also offers things to do for the non smokers. This is the first year we have been at Billing but it is a family orientated location and we have the added bonus that there is the tribute band festival happening that weekend too.

As there is only a limited amount of food that any one person can eat, we find that we end up with several times more food than than is needed for the group. We therefore open up the food table to other people on the campsite to come and experience good smoked BBQ. We find this generates a lot of interest and has started people smoking BBQ that would not have considered it before.

Depending on peoples requirements we can also arrange "master classes" during the day if there is something that they want to see demonstrated. Often these go along with the food preparation itself - e.g. preparing ribs, brisket, pulled pork and Fattys. We can also demonstrate things like salmon curing or  bacon making if there is a demand.

Yes, there will be two walk in fridge trailers. At least one will be cold and the other can be used for storage. These are available for everyone to use. We are very hot on food safety and will be monitoring correct food handling - we don't want anyone to get sick. Because of this we will provide raw meat preparation tables, disinfectant sprays, latex gloves etc. Most of it is simple common sense and we will help if you have any questions. We will also provide heated serving trays to ensure that the food remains hot as it is being served. 

:thumb1:

Just worked out pacific pork roast takes 8 to 10 hours so for a 4 o/c out followed by 30 min rest 6 am on.  Not sure wether to light the wsm the night before and let it burn to settle down and then refresh in the early morning otherwise it is up at 5 and prime and wait for it to settle which can take 20 mins can take an hour depending on weather conditions? I suppose  all doing the long smoke have the same challenge.

yes I figured that, coffee in hand and a comfy chair. I will be bringing my fishing chair, it is comfy comfy. No different to fishing, up with the dawn down with the sunset. up in the night and the wet catching something you swear is big with nothing on your feet in the mud but at least the head torch is on!

I might be up that early but I'm hoping to getting a run in first thing, so if you could have breakfast ready for me when i'm back that'd be smashing! ??

I'm aiming to get there sort of mid afternoon friday as I have the day off but I will be packing up my car and doing a lot of faffing about in the morning most likely so we shall see. Still pondering on whether I can fit both my smokers in the car...

Just been thinking about arriving on Friday,  we hope to get there between 1600/1700.  We'll have to find where we're camping, we were told we would be in the same area... Shelduck Meadow 3 Electric.

We'll be in a black Citroen C5 Est.  REG BU09 VHK.  Justin will be in...EY67 VAD.  We will wait to pitch the tent until either Wade & Steve turn up as we don't want to pitch a mile away but on the other hand we don't want to pitch in the spot that's been chosen to host the event.  Also,  Justin is along with us on the one pitch,  can't wait now,  we've not been camping for yonks, as we have the caravan.

I've spent today sorting out the rest of our camping stuff, along with the gazebo. The weather is going to be excellent and we are going to have a great time..  :yahoo:

Ice.

I visited the site two years ago to see if it would be suitable. The site we have used for 4 years is in Woodhall Spa, its 5 Star and very nice, but difficult to get too.

Billing is a very much bigger site, and not so plush. I picked Shelduck 3 as its tooled away in a corner and close to toilets etc.

I will aim for similar time, but first day of school Holiday tomorrow, who knows what the roads will be like. I fancy your timing as might be  ahead of the worst of that.

My bivvy is easy peasy to put up.  You fellas are going to laugh at how small it is.

I do have a 4 person tent but can not be bothered with  that for this

Gazebo, nice.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

EY67 VAD  Blue Honda Civic.

There will be between 25 and 30 people with partners I think. Unfortunately we never know until we all arrive on site as we are used to people saying that they are coming and not turning up. We also sometimes have unexpected people turn up unannounced on the day too. I am aware of at least one person who has had to cancel due to last minute work commitments.

It is what it is.  We will have fun whatever.  Looking forward to cooking. Just managed to make everything fit in car.  Awful lot of kit!.

Everything bar the coffee machine!  I will fit that in though together with coffee and coffee grinder.

Ingredients turning up tonight, picking up pork it the morning.