I'm a big fan of the Thermapen from ThermoWorks, but not as big a fan of the price. I've got a couple right now, and I waited for them to have a sale on their website before buying. There's usually seasonal sales or holiday discounts that you can watch for.

The performance is great, and I'm no longer waiting for the temperature to read while my arm is over a hot grate. I've seen good reviews on their other products, and will consider them in the future when I need to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that if you don't care what the Thermapen looks like, you can get incredible bargains from the ETI eBay page. www.ebay.co.uk/usr/etiltd

When I needed one, there was a band new Blue "Raw Fish and Shell Fish" Thermapen, the print was on a little squiffy, so they sold it as 'seconds'. Even though it was in perfect working order.
Only cost me £20, delivered!!!!!

Obviously I use it for everything, the only reason they have blue with the fish print on the side is for restaurants/serious users who have 3-4 of them.
The colour and print make no difference to me at all.

Love mine and I use it every cook. B|

ThermoWorks and ETI are sister companies and carry very similar ranges. Most of my temperature loggers are from ETI and they work well. The Smoke I had to buy directly from Thermoworks though as ETI have decided not to stock it in the UK. I believe that you can get it through their eBay pages though but they are not in their UK catalogue.

Yes, the Thermapen is my go-to instant read thermometer too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Are the Thermapens worth the extra over other instant read meat thermometers? Looking for something like these sort of things, and seem to be about £30 on ebay for the MK3 at the moment.

The Thermopro ones seem very popular in the States but not so positive reviews of them over here

I have Thermapen, Inkbird, and an infrared spot one, when you test them all on the same heat source, ie cup of hot water they are all in the ballpark figure but may dither 0.5c/1c across them all. Which is the best??? I'm not sure which one I would put in first place?  and let face it taking the IT of a chunk of meat on the grill, what difference will 1c make??

Ice.

• Like 1

Agreed, I have this one and it is ace. I use it a lot. It is it is instant read so a good checker thermometer .  not 2-3 secs like more expensive options,. it is not tracker though.  Meater does that for me if I want to track temp to a target

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G18NFQ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. £11.99

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 5:32 PM, Wade said:

No. The Thermapen is a flip out instant read thermometer. The data loggers are different beasts. I hope to do a review of a couple of them soon. The data logger I gave been using for a few years is the TCD

ETI Data Logger TCD

I do have a newer version from ETI that they have given me to review.

Mind you mine will not compete with this temp range. " wide temperature range -100 to 1372°C" Gawd knows what you bbq at 1372°C . A very fast flash steak?

• 3 months later...