Spice Grinder

Steve Harford

I burned out several coffee grinders over the course of 6 months before I took the plunge and went for a professional grinder. I talked to a friend in a local restaurant and he recommended the Waring CD409. It is a little pricey at ~£158 but has already saved me money over the 2 years I have had it.

large_CD409.jpg.2d6029d4e33817b1b22f38ce3b2f552f.jpg

Peppercorns are no match for it and it turns cinnamon sticks into dust in a matter of seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

I burned out several coffee grinders over the course of 6 months before I took the plunge and went for a professional grinder. I talked to a friend in a local restaurant and he recommended the Waring CD409. It is a little pricey at ~£158 but has already saved me money over the 2 years I have had it.

large_CD409.jpg.2d6029d4e33817b1b22f38ce3b2f552f.jpg

Peppercorns are no match for it and it turns cinnamon sticks into dust in a matter of seconds.

Wow. Great bit of kit ! I might find the price a little hard to justify though. Hmmmm thinking Chr****as wish list. 

3 hours ago, valve90210 said:

For a cheaper option you could give the James Martin Wahl Grinder a try, it's £21.99 at Argos. I got one a week or so ago and have found it to be great thus far. I'm not doing anything like the quantities Wade does , so not quite so much risk of burning it out as long as I'm sensible with it.

Thanks, that is one of the ones I had been considering but some of the reviews had said they burnt out. But then I only need it for occasional use. 

Much the same as me, I figured I only need it for the occasional rub etc so thought I'd give it a try. Also noticed a lot of warnings in the packaging about not using the special attachment for any small quantities unless you were literally only grind a teaspoon or so. My guess is a lot of people destroy them but over using that attachment, or using for much larger quantities if making up a big batch or two in one session.

I went for it from Argos because I knew if it died on me it should be simple to get it replaced/refunded.

I've had one of these for years https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revel-CCM104CH-Wet-Dry-Grinder/dp/B004LS43BY?th=1

There's a few stories of people saying that it rounded out the drive gear (it IS plastic but still) but I think that may just be from overloading it?

Anyhoo, it grinds peppercorns just fine. And fresh herbs etc. Because the grind compartment is sealed you can actually use it to blend small batches of paste/marinade etc.

6 hours ago, Genevieve said:

I've always heard that you really want a burr grinder. I have a Kuhn Rikon vase spice grinder with replaceable canisters, but it's a hand grinder. Not sure if you're only looking for electric? 

It is an electric one I'm looking for as I get fed up with my mortar and pestle especially on larger quantities 

• 10 months later...

Justin, they are ok. I use one for small quantities but if making up a decent amount of rub then a grinder saves a lot of work. Especially with peppercorns which otherwise have a tendency to fly all over the kitchen. Also with coriander seeds a mortar and pestle doesn’t pulverise those pesky husks like a grinder does. 

• Like 2

Yes, for small quantities the mortar and pestle is fine but when preparing rubs etc in 500g-1Kg batches they are not practical.

One of the only things I have not been able to fully grind is Szechuan Pepper, even with my professional grinder. Most will grind to a powder however there are a lot of thin wispy bits that just whizz around in the grinding chamber but stay whole. I end up having to grind the Szechuan Pepper separately and then pass it through a fine sieve. 

Yes - Initially i was buying cheap coffee grinders to do the job but was surprised how quickly the motors would burn out. I then bit the bullet and went for a commercial one - which has already served me well for a few years.

Guest homer

got one of these, nice small foot print so lives out on the worktop, has a small wet grinder and a dry one..with a glass blender as a bonus, wet one is great for ginger, garlic, chilli etc and use the dry one for whole spices, really well made piece of kit, my one has  been hammered for 3 years and still going strong, simple push click to lock the tops on and has never leaked

problem i found with electric hand held pepper grinders is there were just too slow for me and would  eat batteries

can grind about 6 tbs of pepper corns in the little dry grinder without straining it

had one of the james martin "coffee grinders" or as i like to call them coffee bean wreckers, this tefal one is a world apart..not that i would use either for coffee of course

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-BL142A42-Fruit-Sensation-Blender/dp/B00FRJTFUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531173049&sr=8-1&keywords=tefal+fruit+sensation

Edited by homer
y not

Guest homer
On 8/27/2017 at 8:51 AM, Steve Harford said:

Can anyone recommend a spice grinder which is man enough to grind black peppercorns? They just whizz around in mine without breaking down.  

If it will do green herbs as well, so much the better. 

on another note of just whizzing around..a friend of mine who for the purpose of this post shall remain anonymous  ?  made some strawberry jam a while back after spending the morning picking the buggers..it wouldn't set after using the correct amount of jam sugar..boiled it up a few times and still the same..few glugs of pectin and still nothing..£80 of strawberries here? so lots of pectin added and it set..IT SET ? so much that an attempt to make a strawberry milkshake in the blender the next day..added milk and good spoon of the "jam" wizzed away for about 60 seconds and spoon of jam was untouched still clinging to the blade..did make "my friend" laugh much to the amusement of the other half