Naan Bread recipe / method?

Steve Harford

This is the recipe that the owner of the Beach Shack gave me, that we visit every year in India.

Nan Bread

Serves: 6

Categories: Indian

Ingredients:

5 cups Refined Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda
1 tsp 
2 tsp Sugar
1 Beaten Egg
1 cup 
2 tsp low fat natural yogurt
2 tsp oil
2 tsp Butter

Directions:

Sieve flour with baking powder, bicarb soda & salt.
Add sugar,egg, milk, yogurt and water.
Knead well into a medium soft dough. Apply a little oil, place under a damp cloth for one hour.
Make equal sized balls, squeeze out between thumbs, to a round.
Roll out with rolling pin until 6 inch in diameter.
Stretch one end out to make a tear drop.
Put onto a Gaddi and place onto wall of heated Tandoori oven, or cook in a pre heated oven at 200'C.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go then. Just torn off a piece of the dough as we were doing pizzas anyway so thought I'd make use of the heat. I actually got the thing up to max (500C) on the gauge as I left it on whilst we were eating. Might have been too hot I think. The wife says it looks like a puffer fish and to be fair it really did puff up in the oven. Took only 30 seconds so, as I say, maybe a bit hot. 

IMG_1789.JPG

OK. So here we are, or were, 24 hrs later. I left the dough out, covered with a shower cap, as you do ☺️  Then took out and added more flour to get it workable. It really was quite sticky. 

I split it into three and rolled it out into individual portions. All the while I had the roccbox on max. 

I was going to tweek the heat back but I sort of like seeing if off the dial as I have had trouble getting there previously. Another story. Anyway I slid each one in, in turn, just inside the door. As soon as they got puffy flame side i turned them round. Not over. Kept doing that until I got the colour I wanted. Probably a minute to 90 secs in total. The inside looked after itself and was just perfect. 

A quick lick of melted butter and they really looked good and the taste and texture was superb. Not quite the flavour perhaps of an Indian tandour one but everything else was on a par and far far superior to any supermarket ones which I have had. Well pleased. 

IMG_1791.JPG

• Thanks 1